MPS Online School serving K-12 students
MPS Online School is a full-time* option for all MPS K-12 students, as well as students across Minnesota!
MPS Online School provides supportive, high-quality classes anywhere, anytime for students in kindergarten through 12th grade.
MPS Online School is like any other school with a community of
students, teachers and staff dedicated to the academic and social-emotional
needs of students.
Depending on the grade level, classes are in real time with teachers and/or guided, independent study.
Students and families can easily connect with teachers through online office hours to ask questions and discuss academic progress.
*Both full and part-time options available for 9-12 students.
Learning day, instruction and teacher guidance
Grades K-5: K-5 students get extensive guidance and support from teachers during the learning day from 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Grades 6-8: Middle school students learn with teachers in real time and through independent lessons. During the week, teachers meet with students for lessons, individual student meetings or small-group lessons, and office hours.
Grades 9-12: High school students learn independently with guidance from teachers through daily office hours, labs, small-group lessons, and individual student meetings.
- Inspired, tech-savvy instructors who provide an individualized learning experience.
- Creative, fun project-based learning lets students explore their interests and passions while building deep knowledge and skills.
- Innovative, culturally-relevant curriculum with a full-range of electives taught by expert, specialist instructors.
Enrichment and sports activities
- Opportunities for both in-person and virtual field trips and class activities.
- Minneapolis middle and high school students are eligible to play sports at their designated attendance-zone schools.
Support services and technology
- Full-range of support services include a counselor, social worker, psychologist, special education services, nurse and family liaison.
- English Language Learners have a bilingual support team and education specialist, while families have access to translation assistance.
- Students receive subject-area academic kits to support their learning.
- Devices provided to any student who does not prefer to use their own: K-2 use iPads and grades 3-12 use Chromebook.
- Dedicated technology support provided to students and families.
- School meal boxes are available for eligible families that live within MPS transportation boundaries.
Find out more
PLEASE NOTE: Students who choose MPS Online School as their distance learning option due to COVID-19 should know that students lose their seats in their original community or magnet school. However, students have the option to re-enroll in your original school and your student may transfer at the end of the academic quarter or semester. (As part of their class options, high school students may take online classes through MPS Online School on a part-time basis while still retaining their seat at their community high school.)